Founded on December 4th, 1786 by Father Lasuén and named after Saint Barbara, Mission Santa Bárbara is known as “The Queen of the Missions”. Originally scheduled to open four years earlier by Father Serra, disagreements between the church and state on how the mission should operate delayed the grand opening until after Searra’s death. Mission Santa Bárbara began full operation a short time after its nearby presidio, which housed the soldiers and served as one of four military fortresses in California…
READ MORE →
View full article at: California Missions Foundation
COVID 19 Alert: Museum and self-guided tours are closed right now. Visit the Mission website for the latest information.
2201 Laguna Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
National Historic Landmark
California Historical Landmark #309
Directions to the Mission
From US-101: Exit and proceed east on Mission Street. Turn left onto Laguna Street and left onto East Los Olivos Street.
Hours of Operation
9 am – 4:30 pm daily; closed Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
For tour information, please call 805-682-4713 x166
Mission Renewal Center
Phone 805-682-4713 x133